BJCP Style: 23C - Oud Bruin
Though the Gueuze was more of a Final Boss, this brew is truly the last on the BJCP list closing out the European Sour Ale section.
Oud Bruin is the lesser known partner style to Flanders Red with a "deeper malt character" according to the BJCP style comparison.
- 2022-7-21: brew day
- Malts: Munich I, Special B, Chocolate
- Hops: [Magnum] (Styrian Goldings)
- Yeast 1: Lallemand Köln
- Yeast/Bacteria secondary: RR Beatification blend + brett
- OG: 13.8°P; FG (1): 2.5°P; FG (2): 1°P
ABV (pre-sour): 6%; ABV (after secondary): 7%
- 2022-7-26 (+6): transferred to keg secondary, FG 2.5°P
- 2022-8-12 (+23): transferred to sour keg
- 2022-11-2 (+104): transferred to keezer (cold conditioning)
- 2022-12-2 (+134)?: ready? (one month of conditioning)
Hops: Magnum for bittering and a late addition of Styrian Goldings
Leftover yeast from a recent Kölsch brew. The primary yeast will be so overpowered by the lacto and other bugs something neutral like this is fine here.
Bag out. Heating up to boil
Floor Manager Steve sleeping on the job
And introducing the new Brewing Assistant: Leeloo Dallas Multipass (also sleeping on the job)!
FW hops in and boil is ON
Brew session beer
Into the fermenter
OG right on the numbers at 13.8°P. Expecting to finish around 6% ABV
Wort sample nice and clear with appropriate color for the style
Away we go
2022-8-12 (+22): Wild American kicked so the OB got transferred into the sour keg.
2022-10-17 (+87): 2 month check. I forgot to get a pic but it's coming along nicely. Not too tart and not too sweet. Big malty character and this should turn out to be a good one. Will probably give it another month or so but it's getting close.